View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 07:27 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunking278 View Post
This crossover proposal makes me only more convinced the best thing to do is just stick with the current, six-division structure, making a few tweaks to accommodate Winnipeg, and maybe switch around a Western team or two (Dallas to Central, Vancouver to Pacific, Nashville takes Winnipeg's spot in the Southeast. And if Columbus or my Red Wings don't like it, oh well.) Don't get me wrong, I'd be fine with a pure 1 vs. 16 format like the one used in the 1970s, as I believe we should have some variety in the playoff match-ups, but not within the structure the league has proposed. Just too convoluted, too confusing, and completely antithetical to what the league is professing they are trying to do.
...and what exactly do you think the League is trying to do?

I've always thought they were about maximizing profit, and creating a system whereby a team can have as many games as possible televised during local prime time viewing hours does just that.

You can call fans "babies" or whatever you want, but it's just a fact that when games start at 9:30 pm local time on a school night there are fewer eyeballs on the television. Luckily for fans of teams in the ETZ, they rarely have to deal with that. Here is Minnesota, we deal with it for more than we should have to.

I'm sure that I'm stating the obvious when I say that more viewers means more advertising dollars means larger television contracts means larger profits for the NHL.

Last edited by MuckOG: 02-26-2013 at 08:42 AM.