View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Enigma Publius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
The BEST teams will be in the play-offs. The BEST teams will win their conference or finish 2nd. And, no. In the NFL it puts value into winning your division.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
This realignment is stupid if there are no divisional playoffs.

Why play teams in your conference 6 times then face a team you played twice in the 1st or 2nd round?
I agree. In addition to TV start times, the whole point of the current realignment proposal is to re-emphasize divisional rivalries (increases those eyeballs on the TV). In order for this to happen, division standings have to matter. In the current six-division format, you care (maybe) about winning the division. But you're more concerned with beating out every other team in the conference. The proposal, especially with a straight-up, top-four qualifier, means that every divisional game will be that much more important. If you want into the Stanley Cup, you've got to slug your way out of your division. And that begins by making sure you're in the top-four to begin with. You don't make it that far? Better luck next year - and next year, make sure you have a better regular season, especially against your divisional foes. I'll be almost as excited to see who the four kings of the divisional (conference) mountains will be than I will be to see who's playing in the Cup finals.