View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Gaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Just saying that we see plenty of hits like that in hockey. Nordlund didn't leave his feet and kept his hands down. It didn't look like charging and IMO it wasn't checking to the head/neck area either. Peltonen got himself in a slightly vulnerable position, and this time paid the price for it. Nordlund played hard, but still within the rules of the game. Or at least that's my view of things.
I didn't think it was a dirty hit, either, but you can't really tell for sure based on the video. The league feels that they need to suspend Nordlund, because Peltonen's once again unable to play due to being concussed by a member of the same team (this time unintentionally) and the media circus around this issue is incredible. If they felt confident, they would've just given the verdict already: 0 games. But since they've now postponed it until tomorrow to "view additional video material on the incident", you can expect them to either a) give him 7+ games or b) let him off the hook entirely, hoping that the noise will die down after tonight's games. Personally, I think they're looking for something they could use to justify a long suspension.

This is a charade, but what else can you expect from this league anymore? They actually shortened Abid's suspension for intentionally smacking Armia in the chin with his stick and concussing him just because JYP complained about the verdict. Now they're saying all hits to the head will result in longer suspensions, but in the light of Armia-Abid and other extremely ugly incidents this season, things like Summanen's 5-game suspension for verbal insults seem ridiculous.

All in all, this season has been one big charade, right from the September 1st craziness all the way to some woman reporting about Artturi Lehkonen's concussion to the child protective services.

Last edited by Gaps: 02-26-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote