View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 07:43 AM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
I like physical hockey, but the return of traditional "Island hockey" in this series is not something I'm enjoying. (For those not old enough to remember, it entails lots of greasy play, stick work, and compliant refs ... you know, "old school hockey." It is "fair play" since Islanders are scrappy underdogs taking on the world.) Didn't we all learn the lessons of that UdeM-UPEI incident a few years ago?

Island hockey is effective because their players won't drop their gloves after their dirty work along the boards or in the scrum, so you have to take an instigator penalty to get them to actually man-up on the ice (see Houde-Caron, Antoine v. MacIsaac, Mike, on Feb.6, 2013).

What I would like to see UNB do tonight is to first dress Chad Denny and put him on the wing like they did in the Jan. 19 game at Moncton. He can replace Dion Campbell if he can't go tonight after that checking from behind last night by Cole MacMillan, or else Salituro if Dion is able to play. Suggest to Denny that he take the body at every opportunity. Cleanly. If the Panthers retaliate, so be it, give Chad the green light to defend himself. The reality is that UNB is healthy scratching Denny most games now, so let him earn a suspension if need be.

At the same time, tell the WHOLE team to take the body for the entire first period. UNB is bigger than UPEI, so use that size advantage. The V-Reds did just that to Saskatchewan at Nationals in Moncton (2007 or 2008?) and surprised the feces out of the Huskies (and everyone in the stands). UofS never recovered in that game. I'd suspect a similar result with the Panthers.

If UPEI then retaliates and starts taking liberties, give the green light to Denny, Fillier, Houde-Caron, MacDougall, Swan and maybe Robertson (who's been absorbing a lot from Knox and company) to defend themselves and their teammates.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote