Old
02-26-2013, 09:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
So much easier said than done. I think what you said is actually what the Rangers have been doing.
I agree with a lot of what you say (probably because it's close to what I said!).

Quote:
Thing is, we came so close last year that Sather felt the need to take a shot this year. Losing Dubinsky and Anisimov in the trade, letting Prust and Fedotenko go in free agency, the Rangers lost right there 33% of their forward corps. These are four guys that were able to buy-in to Tortorella hockey.
Prust and Fedetenko for sure were/are Torts kinda guys. But they are hardly unique players. I think Dubi had to go. He had been passed over and to be honest if he wasn't a Ranger draft pick people would have called for him to dealt a long time ago.

Quote:
Then this year came along with the additions of guys like Nash and Pyatt, who look nice on paper for Tortorella hockey (size, speed in Nash's case) but aren't what "Torts hockey" is about.
At first blush, I'd agree about Pyatt. Don't agree with Nash. But the problem is there was really no camp, a compressed schedule, a very tough schedule to start and the the whole team hasn't been healthy at the same time. It's hard to put it all together when you have (as you correctly pointed out) had a 33% turn over in the forward corp.

Quote:
This lineup would be much better suited under a different philosophy, and it's on Torts to make those changes, which he seemingly refuses to do.
Maybe. But he won't. I'm not advocating firing Torts but the talent and core of this team are there.

Quote:
But like you said, look at the Rangers draft picks when Tortorella was here (09 - Present): Kreider (speed and size), McIlrath (size), Miller (speed, size, two-way game), Skjei (speed, size, two-way game). All Torts hockey guys. The only one of these players who really has the potential to light up the scoresheet is Kreider. That is NOT a coincidence.
The organization seems to have made it their philosophy to draft players who can be part of a core but get that top offensive, star player via trade or via FA signing. And where they've been drafting, I don't know if that top offensive player is there to take unless they have a flaw. For example, Thomas was an offensive machine. But he has the body of a high school sophomore.