View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
By rumours, you mean what you read on a bunch of message boards?

Either way, there weren't any big rumours about us taking Zibanejad, just like there weren't rumours about us taking Noesen or Puempel that year, or even Ceci last year. Most of the rumours that year were related to Landeskog and Strome for the most part, both of whom were gone obviously. By bringing in both Zibanejad and Couturier (leading to some conjecture, but hardly a rumour), obviously they were interested enough in both. I have no doubt they debated a choice between those two specifically, and Murray has alluded to such when asked about passing on Couturier (how they liked and considered Couturier, or they wouldn't have brought him to town for a visit). In the end, perhaps all of the Sens scouts agreed on Zbad, although Murray never said that (when he easily could have if true).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
It's up to you on how much you want to believe the stuff that goes around, but it's not possible to refute that there are people on the Sens board that do have sources within the Senators organization that do give us information from time to time.

You may also choose to believe that the organization leaked the information that did come out deliberately to lay a false trail for other organizations that were looking for information on the Sens themselves.

All I'm saying is that we as fans that followed the rumors closely at the time had absolutely zero faith that the Senators were at all interested in picking Couturier. Whether Zib was a last choice consolation prize or a sleeper they were thankful slipped under the radar of the teams picking above them is up for debate.
I heard from someone that knows Tim Murray that Couturier was someone they were less than enthused about. And that Tim was making frequent trips to see Niagara leading up the draft. The word was, we loved Strome, Couturier not-so-much.

Couturier's turned out great and I don't the Sens would try and discount that. But Ottawa has been building a team for quick transition and overall speed around the rink...and leading up the draft you could see Zibanejad was a player that skated around endlessly with speed and explosiveness. And what were seeing now is that he's a great compliment to what's happening in Ottawa.

Maybe the Sens take Brodin or Hamilton in retrospect...but I'm not convinced they are at all worried they took Zibanejad over Couturier...even if you could get them to admit Couturier's a little better.

Little mistakes like that aren't how scouts lose sleep. Especially when this team has like 16 homegrown players on the roster and cupboard full beyond the big team. And there's still a realistic chance that this isn't a mistake at all as we go forward and actually find out.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote