View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Here's a thought, and this may have been mentioned before so excuse me if it has, but why not take the proposed realignment and just swap the two Florida teams with Carolina and Columbus?

The 2 Florida markets would be happy because they now have 3 NY area teams, and Philly who make up a good deal of their transplants, so they should see increased revenue for all home division games. Not to mention they don't have to "fly over another division" to play their road divisional games. Florida teams are typically in Divisions with teams in the NE corridor in all other major sports.

Carolina goes back to their ancestral home, so to speak, in what's basically the old Adams Division, and while Columbus doesn't get Pitt, they do get geographically close rivals in Buffalo and they keep Detroit in their division and then add the 3 Canadian clubs.
From what I understand, it's the Florida teams that wanted to be in the division with the Canadian contingent, Detroit, Boston and Buffalo. I believe it was Friedman on the radio at the beginning of last week, before all this broke, saying the goals between the league and the NHLPA were to get Detroit and Columbus to the East and at the same time being able to compensate Florida, Tampa and Nashville in doing so.

Three days later they come out with this. That would lead me to believe the Florida teams prefer Detroit, Boston, Toronto and Montreal in their buildings for revenue purposes.