View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'd counter that their defensive situation is too fragile to singularly deal Coburn, despite his deficiencies. I like – and I'm pretty certain this is your point, too – the idea of Coburn + to land a true #1 defenseman. What that + represents is anyone's guess. I don't think Meszaros has too much trade value, given how fragile he has proven to be.
I think Meszaros's shoulders are shot. He's had problems with both shoulders and I think this is the end of the line for him. As for Coburn, I think someone will be enticed by the package. I'm sure that other teams see him for what he is, but you know that there's a pro scout out there who will believe that if you put Coburn in "their" system, he'll flourish.

Quote:
Also, I doubt Timonen would waive his NTC. The fact that he signed a 1-year deal here, IMHO, means he wanted to avoid being trade bait. Holmgren messed the bed big time by signing Timonen so early in the season for a cap-bruising amount.
I think Timonen could go either way. If he wants to play for a Stanley Cup contender and not be part of retool, I could see him waive the NTC and I could see someone wanting to deal for him. If you limit Timonen's minutes to 22 minutes a night, he's still an incredibly effective defenseman.

If Timonen wants to stay, then I think the Flyers need to have a talk with him and let him know that Stanley Cup contention is probably out of the cards for 2 - 3 seasons and that if he stays, he'll be relegated to second pairing duty with 20 to 22 minutes a night of playing time. He'll be used primarily to help groom the next wave of defenseman.

Either way, the ball is in Kimmo's hands and if he decides to move on, I don't think it's going to be very hard to move his contract.

Quote:
Brière? I'm not sold on teams offering up a 1st for him. That's probably me being a pessimist. Assuming Holmgren could get Brière to agree to a trade, getting a 1st in the 20-25 range would still put them around where Ristolainen is presently expected to be taken by Craig Button, or Hagg (ISS).
I think Briere can land a first. He's money come playoff time, as long as you have a player who is a strong defensive presence to cover for him. He's instant offense in the second season and a team that wants to add that offensive punch won't have any problems making a deal for him. I'm just not sure if Holmgren will want to move Briere because Briere is a favourite amongst upper management and the owner. That might be the only reason he doesn't get moved.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote