View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 01:14 PM
volaju

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
I guess we can go around and around on this, but there isn't a single comparable out there that anyone can point to that shows the deal the Avs have offered is anything but fair.
I've gone on record as saying I thought the deal was fair. I also think it's totally fair for O'Reilly to try to negotiate for more.

The Avs have a contract structure they want to abide by, fine -- I get it. I'm also hesitant to give young players huge contracts.

But you have to ask yourself how much faith you have in their structure. Do you have enough faith in it that you're totally cool with the Avs not allowing any room for negotiating whatsoever, and basically demanding that their RFAs "sign here or get bent"?

For all the people talking about what a "bad precedent" it would set if they gave O'Reilly $250k or $500k more -- what about the precedent being set that they are ruthless, arrogant negotiators? And that if you don't like your contract offer, you can just sit out and be traded to a team with enough common sense to actually negotiate with its core players?

It's not like the Avs are some kind of beacon of fiscal responsibility or whatever -- this is the team that just shelled out $4M per for 4 years for David Jones and PA Parenteau. How much you want to bet at least one of those contracts is going to be an albatross by the end of its term?

If the result of playing hardball with Ryan O'Reilly and forcing him out is that we can continue to vastly overpay for UFAs ... no thanks. O'Reilly is a special talent, and I would have much rather seen him be offered that $4M than one of those guys. But hey, whatever, it's not my team to run into the ground.