View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Tinalera

vCash: 500
It will be an interesting adjustment as we will now see 4 division champs as opposed to 6 now-thus ending minimizing the much debated problems with the "easy" South East qualification (and I use debated and "easy" in that context as has been argued, not that it's my personal opinion )

So essentially, I'm understanding it: for each "Conference", top 3 from each division qualify, after top 3, the remaining 13 in East fight for wild cards, and 11 in west fight for two spots, with the 4 and 5th highest for each conference going to playoffs-so ergo you could conceivably have 5 teams from Atlantic in East and 5 Teams from Pacific in west-leaving only "3" reps in the NE and Central divisions.

Combine with draft going forward, it will break down this way: You're either in the top 3 of your conference or fighting for a wild card, and if you don't make wild card you're in the lottery for 1st overall (weighting in future to be determined).

So the NHL can say that more fans will get into it because the "wild card fights" could be intense, and can with straight face say "Its a win-win for your team: you're either in the playoffs, or you're guaranteed a shot at 1st overall in the draft".

Last edited by Tinalera: 02-26-2013 at 01:38 PM.