View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I haven't exactly followed the whole Pistorius murder case, but I read a bit today and my god do I have to say how South Africa is ahead of us on gun safety.

Prospective gun owners must now take written exams that include questions on the law, have to show they can safely handle and shoot a gun and are required to hit a target the size of a glossy magazine in 10 of 10 shots from seven meters (23 feet), said Pretorius of the Professional Firearm Trainers Council.
You haven't followed the bolded either. The last thing you'd be thinking if you lived in South Africa was how safe you are from gun crime or homicide in general. In South Africa the Homicide rate is 20times higher than in Canada. The spousal violence and domestic homicide rate in South Africa is off the charts and a grievous social problem.

That said there have been improvements in South AFrica. 15 yrs ago the murder rate was over 60/100k and with 25-30K murders/year. For comparison purposes the highest murder count ever in Canada in one year is 635.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate

Last edited by Replacement*: 02-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.