View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 02:57 PM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I agree, that is the approach that USA should and presumably will take. Canada traditionally just runs around and hopes that talent wins out, at this level anyway, so it must be nice to have an obvious strategy ready to go.
Up through 2010, for sure. I think this changed in 2010 though (for the better), with Yzerman and the executive team being in-sync with Babcock and the coaching staff in employing a puck-possession gameplan which the key members of that group (Yzerman and Babcock) had found success with in Detroit.

We had the talent and size to execute it successfully on the NHL-sized ice surface too, and when overlayed with overriding focus on chemistry (and here I'm thinking of the Thornton and Getzlaf lines, which both play that style effectively in the NHL, and were effective, to varying degrees, in the Olympics), strong two-way play from the forward and defence groups, and seemingly minor things like faceoff prowess from both sides (ie, the Bergeron selection), I'd have to say that we came with a fairly well-thought out and actionable gameplan, with the right roster pieces in place to execute it effectively.