View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 03:06 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
A little different take on this thread, but nonetheless worthy of some thought: With Schlemko signing a 2 year deal yesterday, Tippett, and I am not sure about Maloney, is in the last year of his contract. To my knowledge he has not been renewed for next year and/or beyond! Is this GB signaling that he does not expect the team to remain and therefore no new contract for one of the best coaches in the league?
It is a bit strange for Tippett to not renew, because coaching jobs are few and far between when compared to player jobs. By that I mean the players may question where they live and as a result my wait before signing a contract, but to me, coaches want to coach regardless of where it is. And say the team does move to QC and the new owners don't want Tippet... wouldn't it be in his best interest to sign an extension now for a few years to guarantee his money. Signing a deal and then getting removed by new ownership is better than not signing a new deal and then getting removed.

Or we are reading this all wrong and it's not Tippet that doesn't want a new contract, but it's the NHL not offering him a new contract... The NHL knows the team is moving to QC and the NHL knows the new owners do not want Tippett, so the new owners have told the NHL to not sign him. They don't want to pay for his contract when they are going to remove him right away.