View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 03:16 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I'm really not sure what the comparison's are about there. They serve no purpose. You include a player on there that is on a ELC. Why? You include Malkin, who is not a #2 centre, but rather, a top 3 centre in the league.

I think Gagner gets a 5 year deal this team. He took a short contract, and has now showed the organization what they should expect out of him. He a very good offensively producing #2 centre that is soft and bad at the dot. His 2-way play is decent. Due to the offense he is putting up this year, I think he gets close to $5M per year. I don't think his production level will keep up, the whole season, so will likely get between $4.5M and $5M/year. I'd prefer another 2 year deal to see if this year is a fluke, but considering he already took one, I think he demands longer term.
Because it brings a bit of context into the discussion. I'm not comparing those players I'm comparing what cup contenders pay their 2nd line center man. I thought that was obvious I'm sorry I didn't spell it out enough.

The average for those teams hovers around 5m. The question is do we feel gagner is that man we want to commit to at that price and I say no because his history has been a 40pt man. Hes good but not great and good enough doesn't win cups, especially when it takes up 5m yr