View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
I might not be getting this properly from the wording of the TSN article, but can someone explain how the playoff seedings, and specifically the re-seedings for rounds 2 and 3 would work?

Let's say that this is the end of year standings:

Western Conference
Pacific Mid-West
Anaheim 27 Chicago 35
Vancouver 24 Nashville 23
Los Angeles 20 St. Louis 22
Phoenix 19 Dallas 20
San Jose 19 Minnesota 18
Edmonton 18 Winnipeg 17
Calgary 17 Colorado 16

That means that the 1st round matchups are:

(Anaheim vs Dallas, and Vancouver and LA in the Pacific)

Anaheim 27
Vancouver 24
Los Angeles 20
Dallas 20

(Chicago vs. Phoenix and Nashville vs St.Louis)

Chicago 35
Nashville 23
St. Louis 22
Phoenix 19

I made the above matchups based on the following on TSN:

"The playoff format calls for the top three teams in each division to earn post-season berths. The remaining four spots would go to wild-card teams, the top two records remaining in each conference. That means there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another.

It would be divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs, so 1 vs. 4, 2 vs 3 in the first round. The two fourth seeds would be made up of the wild-card teams. The top division winner based on regular-season points in the standings would face off against the lower-ranked wild-card team. The other division winner would play the higher-ranked wild-card."

But what happens in the next round?

What happens if Dallas beats Anaheim, Van beats LA, Nash beats St. Louis and Phoenix beats Chicago?

TSN says:

"First-round winners then meet in second round in the division championship; Third round sees Pacific winner vs. Mid-West winner in Western Conference finals; Central winner versus Atlantic winner in Eastern Conference finals; Eastern and Western Conference champions meet in Stanley Cup finals."

So Dallas would play Vancouver for the Pacific Division, and Phoenix would play Nashville for the mid-west?

Is that right? Dallas (a mid west team) could then win the Pacific Division, and Phoenix (a Pacific team), could win the mid west division?

I have to be missing something here.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote