View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 03:38 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Absolutely. A couple more of those seasons look off, too. We’re really going to call Lafontaine’s 148 points the standard for 1993?
Why wouldn't you? It's pretty clearly not an outlier in the context of 1992-93 scoring.

1. Mario Lemieux*-PIT 160
2. Pat LaFontaine*-BUF 148
3. Adam Oates*-BOS 142
4. Steve Yzerman*-DET 137
5. Pierre Turgeon-NYI 132
Teemu Selanne-WIN 132

If you're not using Lafontaine's 2nd place finish in 1992-93, you might as well throw the whole "Versus 2" thing in the garbage.

Quote:
What I will still never grasp (and this doesn’t apply to the seasons we’re looking at for the most part) is why we wouldn’t remove players whose point totals were greatly inflated by Gretzky and Lemieux. Kurri and Coffey immediately stand out as players who would not have occupied the #2-4 spots without Wayne, yet we end up using them as the standard some seasons under the system you and Sturm are championing. Doesn’t seem the least bit fair, particularly to forwards who were every bit as talented as Kurri but had no hope of posting his point totals.
I understand what you're saying, but the counterargument is that by removing more top players from the NHL, you are now artificially inflating the scores of the players you think were hurt before.

Quote:
Since when? If someone asked me what’s the percentage difference between 150 and 165, I’d say “165 is exactly 10% greater than 150”.
I guess. Either way, I don't think we should go out of our way to search for outliers in this thing.