Which Team Canada faced the most pressure? Rank them
View Single Post
02-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Join Date: Feb 2013
I do not want to sound pompous but if there were a scale of pressure measuring 1 - 10 then 1972 vs the Soviets began as a 9 for we thought 6-2 in games but that pressure rose dramatically well past 10 after game 5 when the team had to win the last 3 games. We were in the midst of the Cold War, Communism, Bad Guy Soviets, Cultural Life Styles, ask Phil Esposito, I am speaking as a Canadian who was 19 at the time. We could not lose to them!!! Their players trained 12 months a year and were part of the Red Army.
2. The 2010 Olympics at 9.5 peaceful pressure on home soil.
3. The 1976 Canada Cup at 9 was 1st world competition, 1987 Canada Cup Soviet Team very strong
4. Olympics Nagano, Salt Lake, World Cup 1996 & 2000 all at 8.5 for Canada is always a favourite
5. Canada Cup 1981 was 8, except lost badly
6. Canada Cup 1991 was 7.5 strong favourite as Soviet Union dissolved into Union of ... States but Europe in an upheaval.
7. Canada Cup 1984 was 7, confidence low after years of losses to Soviets at all levels, dropped to a 4 after round-robin but rose after beating Soviets in O.T. in semis.
8. NHL had pressure for Super Series 76 - 8.5, Challenge, 2 games'79 -8, Rendezvous'87 2 games - 8.
I personally prefer the 2010 pressure vs 1972. Enjoy the great game.
View Public Profile
Leaf Forever's albums
Find More Posts by Leaf Forever