View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 04:12 PM
George Maharis
Harbor Hopper

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'm not going to talk about other sports because... well, because I don't care about them.

Lady Byng - While this is certainly the most embarrassing award to win, I wouldn't consider it the most pointless. There is something award-worthy about guys like Sakic, Francis and Datsyuk who are highly effective without breaking the rules.

Jennings - An award for the scoring champion makes sense. An award for the GAA champion doesn't. Especially when guys like Robert Esche, Mike Dunham, Darren Jensen and Denis Herron end up on it. The best thing you could say about this trophy is that it's a litmus test for whether someone really "gets" goalies.

Mark Messier Leadership Award - Leave it to Mark Messier to get involved with a corporate-sponsored trophy where he puts his name on it, picks the winner and goes on TV to present it. It has some marginal legitimacy as an honor, but what a completely ego-driven venture on the whole.

Plus/Minus Award - This is the king of them all. Corporate-sponsored. Stat-based. Irrelevant. Basically just a revenue generator for the league and a doorstop for a lucky player (and I do mean lucky in the literal sense). The only award for which there have been six ties, the most recent being between Michal Roszival and Wade Redden. The only award that Jeff Schultz, Paul Ysebaert or Paul Cavallini will ever win. Going back through history, it has been called the Bud Light Award, the Alka-Seltzer Plus Award, and the Emery Edge Award.

Congratulations, Plus/Minus Award, you win the award for Most Irrelevant Award!
What's so embarrassing about it? Not every hockey player has to be violent in order to be effective, as you said. It's a style of play that some of the greatest players to ever lace 'em up have used..

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote