Thread: Speculation: Re-alignment
View Single Post
02-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Dirts McGirts
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Edmonton has had the same issues for a long time (90s). The best to which they could aspire is bubble team. They have no idea on dmen, not even close. Their later round drafting/development is the definition of fail. One of the few teams with a top 5 pick that completely failed (Bonsignore). MacT was their best ever coach and he was of the dime a dozen variety. Perfect storm for the cup run with Pronger plus some outstanding reclamation projects which was immediately blown up.
Living in Edmonton I'm surrounded by Oiler fans so I know a little bit. Their D prospects right now are enticing with Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat and Musil coming up. Prospects don't always pan out but atleast 2 of those 4 should make it to the Oilers. Currently lacking in D but Justin Schultz has been a great addition for them.

For that 1994 draft, their 6th pick was Ryan Smyth...

MacT I used to always dislike since the oilers were always a grind it out team with little flash, but he was able to get a decent amount out of what he had to work with. And I doubt he is worse than the Todd...

Do I believe the Oilers management could be better? Yes, but it is heading in the right direction and their later round scouting has been better recently (starting in 2007 I'd say). They've made strides from the 90's oilers IMO

HBSauce is offline   Reply With Quote