View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 04:38 PM
ChompChomp
My avi is gospel

vCash: 500
From the TSN article:

Quote:
The playoff format calls for the top three teams in each division to earn post-season berths. The remaining four spots would go to wild-card teams, the top two records remaining in each conference. That means there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another.

It would be divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs, so 1 vs. 4, 2 vs 3 in the first round. The two fourth seeds would be made up of the wild-card teams. The top division winner based on regular-season points in the standings would face off against the lower-ranked wild-card team. The other division winner would play the higher-ranked wild-card.

First-round winners then meet in second round in the division championship; Third round sees Pacific winner vs. Mid-West winner in Western Conference finals; Central winner versus Atlantic winner in Eastern Conference finals; Eastern and Western Conference champions meet in Stanley Cup finals.
So if I am reading this correctly (And I believe I am, if the Sharks, for example, were the lowest-rank wild card team, and say the Blackhawks were the top division winner, now all of a sudden for the first two rounds the Sharks are in the Mid-West Division Playoffs (because they would play the Hawks 1st round, and then winner of the other mid-west matchup second round).

Crazy...

Edit: My own question answered by CBC
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ment-plan.html

Quote:
What it does mean, though, is if a team crosses over, it stays there. So, let's say the Oilers finish fourth in the Pacific next year, but get to the playoffs as the "remaining team" with the most points. And say Chicago wins the Midwest (ahead of St. Louis and Nashville) and has fewer points than Pacific winner Vancouver. The Oilers technically become a Midwest Division club. They would play the Blackhawks in the first round and, with a win, the Blues or Predators in the second.

Last edited by ChompChomp: 02-26-2013 at 05:04 PM.
ChompChomp is offline   Reply With Quote