View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLoo View Post
As far as I have been led to understand it is that Guaranteed money(27mil in this case) is essentially your "bonus". It is spread out evenly across the duration of the contract, in this case all 27mil of Brady's deal is guaranteed money. Plus I guess an extra 3mil still on the books from his last deal I guess? Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I could be way off, but that has been my understanding of it for a while.
I don't believe that's accurate.

What your describing is a signing bonus. So say Player Bob gets a signing bonus of $30M for a 6 year deal. That $30M is spread across the 6 years equally. Regardless of if the player is on the roster, for that period, $5M of the cap will be tied up due to the signing bonus.

Guaranteed money is different. It is money that is given to the player regardless. So Player Bob will get 10M throughout his 6 year deal if he is on the roster(IIRC on the last part). The rest of the contract may be things like as workout bonus, roster bonus, incentives etc etc.

A players caphit is basically Signing bonus + Base salary for that year(based on other things).