View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 05:01 PM
thinkinfeller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
You are wrong. Had we signed Kessel to an offersheet the compensation would have been 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
You sure?

Quote:
And if you dont want to include the Kessel trade because it was only picks and not actual players, why then include the Kurvers trade?
Fair question. At this point I'm unwilling to include the Kessel deal because he has been and continues to be the best player involved in the deal. If, in 20 years, Dougie Hamilton is nearing the end of a world class, perrenial all-star, Norris winning, Cup winning, Olympic gold medal winning career - I'll include the Kessel deal on my bad trades list. For now, I take Kessel over Seguin 8 days a week, and am unsure of what calibre of player either Hamilton or Knight will develope into. Point being, the outcome of this deal is still completely speculative.

Quote:
I do think trading those picks for Kessel will go down as one of the worst trades in Leafs history. First of all the timing of the trade was terrible. A team lacking a #1 C, #1 D and a #1 goalie who did not even have a captain and who the GM took every chance he had telling every one how bad they where and how soft they played. Then he takes this bottom teams 2 first rounders in the next drafts and trade them for a soft goal scoring winger with out leadership qualities. How could that turn the franchise around?
Not everyone is as down on Kessel as you seem to be. As mentioned above, I take Kessel over Seguin anyday. Anyday. Hamilton looks like he's going to be a very nice piece in a couple of years, but for now... I'm satisfied with our defensive depth without him.

In short, I didn't include the Kessel deal on my list, because I'm not convinced it was a bad trade.

thinkinfeller is offline   Reply With Quote