View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 08:46 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Fair enough. But I am privy to those same "sources" and none of them were calling Zib. As I noted, it was all about Strome and Landeskog. And there were no leaks re Zib and Couturier - the team was pretty open about both spending the day with the team (they did a promo video even, as I recall). The rest of the guys invited were already drafted, obviously.

You can speculate they were never interested in Couturier all you want, but if they were playing that game they would have been better served to bring in Scheifele, Hamilton and Murphy as well - other players actually ranked ahead of Zibanejad on a lot of boards. That way, teams wouldn't have had as good an idea the team was zeroing in on Mika.

Also, those sources have never been accurate on past or subsequent drafts, so calling them sources when it comes to the draft really has no more substance than what you are I have to say. You can choose to believe the Sens NEVER considered taking Couturier, but that would be based on gut, and no real facts or sources that demonstrated inside draft knowledge at any point in time.

The Sens organization is a pretty professional one and Dorion and Murray don't play games. They really don't believe they invited Couturier without interest in him. Even if it was just to talk to him about his playoffs (as you speculated), that in itself is an indication they were still interested and there was a chance based on that interview, they would take him. Probably a case of one or two of their scouts liking Couturier more, where as the rest wanted Mika, so with respect to those scouts advocating for Couturier, they brought he and Mika in for an up close one one one comparison in terms of intangibles.
The scuttlebutt was that they were less than enthused by Couturier's playoff performance and that was the main reason they were turned off from picking him. (They even ended up picking the center that went up head-to-head with him and shut him down in Pageau)

Now assuming that's true, I can certainly see why they would still fly him in for the interviews/workouts just to make sure that Couturier wasn't hampered by an injury or a re-occurrence of the mono he had earlier in the year. It's not hard to imagine that if the guy was playing with a broken foot (random example) that he didn't disclose during the playoffs, that the Senators' scouting staff would have a different opinion of the guy. But because there was nothing wrong with him, they didn't want to pick him.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote