View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Brooklanders*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
Just because Yakupov was the consensus no.1 doesn't really mean his ceiling is the highest. In fact, I think the whole idea of a guy's ceiling is a little bit ridiculous. Different players develop at different rates and at different times. Doesn't every player realistically have an unlimited ceiling until the time his career is over? Sure some guys are more skilled than others, and we can pretty safely assume a guy like Yakupov has a higher ceiling than a guy like Murray, but I don't think anyone would have said Datsyuk had the highest (or 2nd highest if you count Lecavalier as no.1) ceiling in the 98 draft 2 days, 2 months or even 2 years after it happened. Seems like a waste of time to me trying to predict where a guys potential will land him if everything goes perfectly. It rarely does. Players bust and players "overachieve".

Back to Yakupov: first off, the guy looks like an absolute beast of a goalscorer. I haven't seen a shot like that on a kid in a long time and he knows where and when to shoot it on net. That being said, he's small, rather soft, and up to this point prone to some poor decisions with the puck. There is a reason he has bounced around in the lineup. And it's not because he has been excelling in the puck management department. You can see he has obvious skill on the ice, but skill doesn't always mean he has the most potential.

I think he is going to be an awesome player in the league, but he has some serious deficiencies in his game he needs to work on first.

At this point in time, Galchenyuk looks like a better NHLer. I say that as a Habs fan in the most unbiased way possible. That doesn't mean it will always be the case. Where they end up 5, 10 or 15 years from now is anyone's guess.
Scouting is better than ever and so are the tools given to these individuals however I get so annoyed ho scouts are so teid up with how many points a player has. When you like at the stats in a full season Yakupov wasnt such a dominate minor league player.

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote