View Single Post
02-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Global Moderator
vCash: 500
Milan Novy, C

Official All-Star Teams existed in Czechoslovakia from 1969-1977.

TIP magazine named "best defenseman, best goalie, and best forward" in Czechoslovakia from 1977 (notice the one year overlap) to 1992. These seem official too, as they are quoted in Dominik Hasek's TSN profile:
  • Czechoslovakian All-Star Center in 1975
  • Czechoslovakian All-Star Center in 1976
  • Czechoslovakian All-Star Center & Best forward in 1977
  • Czechoslovakian Best forward in 1978
  • Injured for half of 1979
  • Not best forward in 1980, but 2nd to Peter Stastny in Golden Stick voting
  • Czechslovakian Best forward in 1981 (after Stastny's defection)
  • Czechoslovakian Best forward in 1982

Czechoslovakian hockey was in decline by 1981 and 1982 due to retirements and defections, but it is noteworthy that for 4 straight years from 1975-1978, Novy at least has a case as the best forward in the country that won 2 of 4 gold medals at the World Championships over the USSR and that finished 2nd to Canada at the Canada Cup.

Novy's best performances in International Tournaments were the 1976 Canada Cup, when he was named Tournament All-Star and MVP of the Silver Medalist Czechoslovakian Team and the 1980 Olympics, which he led in scoring. He was also an All-Star at the 1976 World Championships along with a few teammates.

Originally Posted by Eagle Belfour
Milan Nový

Nickname: Balik (Country Bumpkin), Balvan (boulder)
Height: 5'10''
Weight: 196 lbs
Position: Center
Shoots: Left
Date of Birth: September 23rd, 1951
Place of Birth: Kamenne Zehrovice, Czech Republic

Czechoslovakian Extraliga Champion (1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980)
Olympics Silver Medalist (1976)
WEC-A Gold Medalist (1976, 1977)
WEC-A Silver Medalist (1975, 1978, 1979, 1982)
WEC-A Bronze Medalist (1981)
WEC-A First All-Star Team (1976)
WEC-A Czechoslovakia Top-Three Player (1982)
Canada Cup Silver Medalist (1976)
Canada Cup Bronze Medalist (1981)
Czech Golden Stick Trophy (1977, 1981, 1982)
Czechoslovakian Extraliga Scoring Leader (1976, 1977, 1978)
Czech League Goalscoring Leader (1975, 1976, 1977)
Canada Cup All-Star Team (1976)
Canada Cup Czechoslovakia MVP (1976)
Czech League All-Star (1977)
Team Captain (1980-1982)
Czech Hockey Hall of Fame (____)
IIHF Hall of Fame (2012)

Czechoslovakian Elite Hockey League: [1970-to-1982; 1987-to-1989]

No Data:
Penalty minutes: 1970-1973; 1976-77; 1978-79

Top-10 Scoring (1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 9th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 7th, 9th)
Top-10 Assist (1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 6th, 9th, 9th)

Playoffs [1971; 1973]
Only a handful of players are recorded in each of those playoff years. In parenthesis, only forwards

Scoring: T-3rd (Over Jiri Holik, Jaroslav Jirik, Josef Augusta / Under Vaclav Nedomansky, Richard Farda)
Goalscoring: T-1st (Over Richard Farda, Jaroslav Jirik, Josef Augusta, Jiri Holik, Josef Cerny)
Assist: T-6th (Over Jaroslav Jirik / Under Josef Cerny, Richard Farda, Jiri Holik, Vaclav Nedomansky)
Scoring: 2nd (Over Vladimir Veith, Stanislav Pryl, Jiri Holik, Jiri Novak, Eduard Novak, Vaclav Nedomansky, Vladimir Martinec, Julius Haas, Jaroslav Holik / Under Bohuslav Stastny)
Goalscoring: 1st (Over Bohuslav Stastny, Vladimir Veith, Stanislav Pryl, Jiri Holik, Jiri Novak, Eduard Novak, Vaclav Nedomansky, Vladimir Martinec, Julius Haas, Jaroslav Holik)
Assist: T-6th (Over Vladimir Martinec, Julius Haas / Under Bohuslav Stastny, Vladimir Veith, Stanislav Pryl, Jiri Novak, Vaclav Nedomansky, Jaroslav Holik)

World and European Championship:

Canada Cup:

National Hockey League: [1982-83]

Czechoslovakian Golden Hockey Stick Nomination:

1973: 8th position
1975: 4th position
1976: 3rd position
1977: 1st position
1978: 4th position
1980: 2nd position
1981: 1st position
1982: 1st position

Originally Posted by Kings of the Ice
The Greatest Czech gunner, Milan Novy. On a domestic or even a world scale, there has probably never been a better center. His brilliant play determined the outcome of many matches, and he holds his place in history among the rankings of all Czech and Slovaks who ever played hockey. He also put out solid performances in the NHL, in Switzerland, in Austria and in lower-level competition. At least one goal of his career made history. It was scored in the 1976 Canada Cup in a game against the home team. Czechoslovakia won 1-0 and for the first time ever beat the pick of the NHL.

Milan Novy wasn't the kind of hockey player whose personal style captured the imagination of fans. At first glance, he wasn't too tall - rather inconspicuous, in fact - but he was a very tough forward and remarkably efficient. Always at the right place at the right time and very quick to take a shot, he could reap the maximum benefit from almost every opportunity.

The essence of his efficiency on the ice was his sense of timely approach for a pass, for a hard, accurate flick of the wrist, a short swing, and a determination to follow through on a play.

Novy never took shortcuts in training, It was often reported that in addition to regular workouts with the team, he took private lessons. He would go for long jogs with weight on his chest.

Stamina was Milan Novy's other great strength. He earned another record by not missing a single game in the league eight season in a row.
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Novy's brilliant play determined the outcome of many matches, and he holds his place in history among the rankings of all Czechs and Slovaks who ever played hockey. He also put in solid performances in the NHL, in Switzerland, in Austria and in lower-level competition. At least one goal of his career made history. It was scored in the 1976 Canada Cup in a game against the home team. Czechoslovakia won 1-0 and for the first time ever beat the pick of the NHL in the country that gave birth to the game of hockey.

Six times he was named the team's most productive player, and three times he won the Golden Stick Award for being the best player in the league. With Kladno, he won the, national title five times. And in 1976 and 1977 he became a world champion.

Stamina was Milan Novy's other great strength. He earned another record by not missing a single game in the league eight seasons in a row.
Originally Posted by Hockey's Greatest Legends
Milan Nový is regarded as one of the all-time greats in Czech hockey history.

Milan's strength was that he could score from anywhere. He beat the goalies with slapshots, wristshots, high, low or dekes. He also handled the passes delivered to him on the fly better than most players. He was truly a world class player. Some journalists labeled him the best skater outside of the NHL, outranking several Soviet stars of the day.
Originally Posted by IIHF
On skill alone, few could keep up with Milan Novy. He was a star in the Czechoslovak league, played a year in the NHL, and shone brightest on the international stage, winning a medal eight of nine times he played at the Olympics or World Championships.

From his first international tournament in 1975 to his last (1982), Novy failed to win a medal only once, the 1980 Olympics. But at the Lake Placid games, Novy led all scorers with 15 points in just six games.

Novy was one of international hockey's greatest stars between 1975 and 1980. He led Czechoslovakia to two IIHF World Championship gold medals in 1976 and 1977, scoring 15 points (9+6) in the 1976 event and 16 points (7+9) a year later. He was named to the Worlds' All Star Team in 1976.

He led the Czechoslovak league in scoring three times thanks largely to his speed and skill, and excellent shot which he mastered by practicing off ice with a steel puck.
Originally Posted by AZHockey
A very well conditioned athlete who was a deadly shooter. He had a very accurate shot and positioned himself very well for scoring chances.
Originally Posted by The Hour; September 4th, 1976
Milan Novy, known as Europe's counterpart to Philadelpia's Bobby Clarke for his hardworking style of play.

-'' Life goal? I have no such thing. Every goal scored was equally important to me.'' - Milan Novy

-''It takes a little bit of everything. Talent, honest preparation, being lucky with teammates. But the most important are the prerequisites. Having a good feel for goals constitutes up to 70% of success. If someone isn't naturally gifted, all the hard training - weeks, months and years - will not help. I learned to skate on a pond, and when I came to Kladno for my first practice, I had no hockey gear and knew no one. But I started firing those goals in right away, even though no one taught me how to do it before. I guess it was in me.'' - Milan Novy

-''If you want to make it to higher levels, you must do something for it. I, too, had moment when I couldn't score. That's when I intensified my training. When you work hard, you overcome crises better and get back into shape faster.'' - Milan Novy

Vladimir Martinec, Vaclav Nedomanaky & Milan Novy comparision:

- It's a summary of the seasons they played all together in the same league. I will do a far more complete overview when writing my complete biography

- I am NOT trying to say that Novy is equal or superior to Nedomansky and Martinec, but to bring a discussion as to how well or bad he compares to these great players

- All three played in the same league in the Czech league from the 1970-71 season to the 1973-74 season (4 total)

Vladimir Martinec: 21 years old to 25 years old - 4th season in the league +
Vaclav Nedomansky: 26 years old to 30 years old - 9th season in the league +
Milan Novy: 19 years old to 23 years old - 1st season in the league +

1970-71 season:
Vladimir Martinec: 21 years old: 6th in scoring, 8th in goals, 4th in assists
Vaclav Nedomansky: 26 years old: 2nd in scoring, 2nd in goals, 9th in assists
Milan Novy: 19 years old: 13th in scoring, 13th in goals, 9th in assists

1971-72 season:
Vladimir Martinec: 22 years old: 3rd in scoring, 4th in goals, 5th in assists
Vaclav Nedomansky: 27 years old: 1st in scoring, 1st in goals, 4th in assists
Milan Novy: 20 years old: 9th in scoring, 9th in scoring, 11th in assists

1972-73 season:
Vladimir Martinec: 23 years old: 1st in scoring, 3rd in goals, 1st in assists
Vaclav Nedomansky: 28 years old: 5th in scoring, 8th in goals, 4th in assists
Milan Novy: 21 years old: 3rd in scoring, 2nd in goals, 11th in assists

1973-74 season:
Vladimir Martinec: 24 years old: 4th in scoring, 3rd in goals, 6th in assists
Vaclav Nedomansky: 29 years old: 1st in scoring, 1st in goals, 1st in assists
Milan Novy: 22 years old: 2nd in scoring, 2nd in goals, 2nd in assists

Career results in the Czechoslovakian league:

Vladimir Martinec: [1967-1981]
Top-5 Scoring (1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th)
Top-5 Goalscoring (1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th)
Top-5 Assist (1st, 1st, 5th, 5th)

Top-5 Czech Hockey Stick (1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 3th, 4th, 5th)

WEC Best Forward (1976)
WEC All-Star (1974, 1975, 1976, 1977)

Vaclav Nedomansky: [1964-1974]
Top-5 Scoring (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 5th)
Top-5 Goalscoring (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th)
Top-5 Assist (2nd, 5th)

Top-5 Czech Hockey Stick (3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th)

WEC Best Forward (1974)
WEC All-Star (1969, 1970, 1974)

Milan Novy: [1970-to-1982]
Top-5 Scoring (1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd)
Top-5 Goalscoring (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd)
Top-5 Assist (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 5th)

Top-5 Czech Hockey Stick (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th)

Canada Cup All-Star Team (1976)

Now, I am not that biased or foolish enough to call those players out on those statistics alone. We have to put those stats into context, while also giving credit to things I havn't heavily research yet.

All three: Incredible offensive machine, but Nedomansky was renown as someone who never backcheck in Czech, while I found nothing on Novy in the defensive zone. Martinec also was an all offensive guy. Tell me if I'm wrong, but none of them bring intangible worth a big plus in the positive column. Actually, Novy was probably the toughess, and he was someone know as resilient who could take care of himself, but nothing more.

Vladimir Martinec: The first contradiction arise in between the scoring results of Martinec and his placement in the Golden Stick. By a wide margin, Martinec has provide the less spectacular results in the Czech league, compare to both Novy and Nedomansky. So why as he placed that high in the Golden Stick voting? An obvious and a perhaps less unanimous conclusion arise in my opinion. First of all, the obvious conclusion: Martinec was incredible in the World Championship and in the Olympics. In his prime, he was name on the All-Star team four straight years, while winning best forward in 1974. Those performances do count when voting for the best Czech player award (unlike the Hart Trophy, where only the regular season count). He was a clutch player for his national team (even though his overall statistics arn't earth shattering compare to the other two, look at the bottom of my conclusion). The second conclusion, perhaps that will be less openly received, his the fact that Martinec was an extremely flashy and love hockey player. Martinec was the poster boy for his nation, and I think it did play a role in his award recognition. Obviously, the first reason far exceed the importance of the second reason, but you will see where I'm going with this conclusion with Nedomansky and Novy.

Vaclav Nedomansky: An amazing goalscorer, my opinion the best of the three. However, as you can see, I believe Novy was really close to him in term of scoring goals. In term of overall offence, all three are actually pretty close together, all thing consider. Martinec > Nedomansky >> Novy on the international stage, but Novy = Nedomansky > Martinec in the Czech league (look at Novy conclusion for the explanation). In 1972 and 1974, Nedomansky finished 1st in scoring in the Czech league. Golden stick result: 4th and 5th. Even though he was an incredible offensive machine, with great success in the local and international stages. However, he never received a golden stick, or even a very serious nomination, even at his best. Why? It's difficult to comprehend, but I return again to my second conclusion in the Martinec bio: Nedomansky always been a loner on and off the ice. Never the one to talk loudly. I may be stretching the reality, and I hate to give too much credit to a guy feeling, but I really can't figure out those Golden Stick results in a way that statistics would prove them completely correct.

Another thing is to give credit for his career outside Czechoslovakia:

WHA Scoring: 12th, 18th, 3Xst
NHL Scoring: 3Xst, 3Xst
WHA Most Gentlemanly Player (1976)

Just how much does those results affect positively Nedomansky overall career? It sure is a positive, and showed that he could adapt to the NA style of hockey. However, he didn't set the WHA or the NHL on fire. It's a small plus, but his legend lays in his country.

Milan Novy: Surprisingly (well, I was surprise!), Novy did incredibly well in the Czech league. Statistics alone without analyzing them would give Novy the edge over Nedomansky and the greater edge over Martinec. However, I feel I need to give Nedomansky some credit to get all those results during the shorter period of the two. However, Novy was incredible all the way to his last few season in the Czech league. 1980: 2nd in scoring over the Stastny, Martinec and at least five players that will be selected. 1981: 1st in scoring over Martinec, and at least 3 players that's going to get picked. 1982: 1st in scoring over four players that will be selected. Was the mid-to-late 1960's (where Nedomansky got a part of his great results) superior in term of elite players, than the early 1980's? I think the forward corp are about equal, but both Pospisil and Suchy were there. Overall, perhaps I slightly prefer Nedomansky to Novy in the Czech league, but it is VERY close. Another think to add: with those results, his Golden Stick results are kinda underwhelming ... but Novy was known to have a style of play that was not catching attention ... I'm just saying!

Internationally, Novy is behind both Martinec and Nedomansky, and didn't received the awards both of them got. However, Novy was still a very important part of those teams and his offensive results are not far behind when compare to both of them:

WEC & Olympics:
Martinec: 134GP, 124PTS (0.925PPG)
Nedomansky: 124GP, 142PTS (1.145GGP)
Novy: 105GP, 113PTS (1.076GGP)

At the end, I believe Nedomansky and Martinec are extremely close together, but giving a small edge to Nedomansky. While Martinec received better awards on the international stage, Nedomansky isn't far behind. Nedomansky czech league results, adding his results on the North American soil, give him the edge over Martinec. In my book, Novy is the third player on this list, mostly because he didn't receive that much awards on the international stage. However, Novy was definitely just as offensively talented as those two.

Vaclav Nedomansky: 171st overall
Vladimir Martinec: 197th overall
Milan Novy: 371st overall

I think I've proved clearly that Novy shouldn't be taken 200 picks after Nedomansky and 180 pick after Martinec. I actually prove that the difference isn't even close to be those numbers. I think Novy one of the better value of the draft, and an invaluable part of my team. Milan Novy should be taken at the very least a few rounds earlier.

Signing, Trades & Injuries:
- Novy was selected 58th overall by Washington Capitals in NHL Entry Draft in 1982

Fun & Interesting Facts:
- Novy studied law at Karlova University in Prague
- In 1976-77, Novy scored 59 goals in 44 games playing on a line with Eduard Novak and Lubomir Bauer
- Buffalo GM Scotty Bowman signed Novy early in 1982, when Czech authorities indicated he would be available after that season. Before the 1982 draft, new Capitals GM David Poile traded two picks in exchange for Alan Haworth and the rights to draft Novy
- In June 1983, Novy was released by Washington after having played only one season, because he had difficulty adjusting to the NHL style of play and wanted to continue his career back in Europe.
- In his last season in the Czech league, Novy played on a line with 16 years old Jaromir Jagr
- Novy was Kladno team secretary for seven years after his retirement
- Novy was ranked the #2 European player of all-time behind Vladislav Tretiak in a pre-draft poll of European journalists
- He made several comebacks in the Czech and Slovakian Extraliga between 1997 and 2003 and played his last league game at the age of 52 years

- Milan Novy was simultaneously a rookie and the oldest player on the Washington Capitals in 1982
- Novy spoke no English when he arrived in North America and had to do all of his interviews through an interpreter
- Before the 1981-82 season, he left for the NHL, where he played for the Washington Capitals. The number 6 he usually wore on his jersey was already taken. At first he wore number 26 and then 66, later made famous by Mario Lemieux. ''Originally, I wanted it right away. But at the time only true stars could afford to have their way. In the first match, however, I scored and got two assists. Before the next match I came to the cabin and was surprised. Apparently the club management wanted to show their appreciation of my efforts.''
- Novy now work in the cosmetic business
Novák, Eduard: Played 16 seasons and 560 league games in Czechoslovakia (306 goals). He was primarily a finisher. He had a very quick release of his shot. Worked well with Milan Nový. Novy played on the same line as Martinec numerous time in the WEC-A.

IIHF: International Ice Hockey Federation
WEC-A: World and European Championship - Pool A

Famous Milan Novy goal against Canada in the Canada Cup 1976

Internet Sites: Novy

Special Thank You: Dreakmur

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote