View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 10:28 PM
kingsfan
Doing the PR for RP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It's kind of challenging to draft superstar talent when you aren't selecting in the top 5. That's usually where you'll find that type of caliber of player. It's very uncommon and rare to find prospects in the later rounds who break out into superstars like Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Those two are the exception.
Challenging yes, but hardly impossible. All drafts have at least a couple of first line players drafted outside the first round, nevermind outside the top 5.

Take 1996 for example, arguably the worst draft in history. Drafted outside of the first round was Chara, Kubina, Kaberle for D-men alone.

Now this is just hindsight cherrypicking which scouts don't have. But the point is there is talent after the first round, nevermind the top 5.

Now I'm not arguing with our drafting philosophy, in fact I support it, but I don't think it would hurt for us to take a stab at a more 'risky' player, especially in the first round where we've had a largely average drafting history thus far.

Our 1st under DL's staff (2007 to present) are Thomas Hickey, Drew Doughty, Colton Teubert, Brayden Schenn, Derek Forbort, and Tanner Pearson. That's to largely busts, one stud, one looking good (Schenn) and two who still have the jury out. We could take a shot at some more risky picks, such as Myers over Teubert.