View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 10:47 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
No in my opinion.

Many NYR fans are blaming literally everything on him. Why are the lights so low at MSG? Torts! Fire the clown!

The team turned over a lot of the roster and lost a lot of really key players that played big parts in establishing the team's identity last year. Guys like Dubi, Prust and Fedotenko didn't make such a difference in terms of points scored, but they played Ranger hockey to a T and Torts knew exactly how to get the most out of last year's collection of players. I think Torts is still trying to figure out how this new roster can make the most of their talents, which is difficult to do with short camp, no preseason and then a rough start and injuries to key players. Having said that, the team doesn't have confidence like they did last year and I will blame Torts for that in part. As a coach, he's got to get them feeling good about their game, though when players go out and fail to perform, some of it is on them too.

In addition to all that, Richards, who is supposed to be a huge part of the team, is obviously not in NHL shape. He did not train as he would have in a regular season, and I suspect a few other NYR players also fall into that boat.

Ultimately, I don't think you fire a coach who got your team to the ECF and coached it to it's best season in decades because of a portion of a short season with a half-new roster. If he fails to adjust and the team continues to flounder over a longer period of time, then, yeah, you've got to seriously think about going in a new direction.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote