View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
I don t understand why MB aka Rejean Houle would trade one of his leaders when the team is doing good? Erik Cole is the prototypical power-forward off to a slow start ...who cares! he has 6PTS MP has 14 and Plek 13 wow (only in Montreal) The team has a chance to win now or at least had a chance to win. Who is next ...PK? he's already on the 3rd D line. (I miss Garbo and Gainey)
All things equal, I'll take cole over ryder, just like you. He's simply a better fit, and when things get tighter and more intense, that's when I really expect to miss Cole's presence.

However, there's the financial aspect involved. I think the fact that Cole had 2 years left, vs Ryder who is in the final year, gives the habs some flexibility this summer, and acted as an equalizer in the deal along with the draft pick.

Its too early to say, but my feeling is that ryder will not be back next year and that saved money will help with the cap figure going down. Its also entirely possible that MB is not a Cole fan, and would rather bring his own type of player in.

There's still 4 plus million of cap space rotting in the press box. Now, if MB can find a way to shed that contract, then he truly is a genius.