View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 11:32 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
WTF?! If it weren't for the "Confirmed with Link" thing, I thought this would be a joke thread.

First bad transaction of the Bergevin era. Ryder was a third liner on the Bruins for damn good reason. He's one dimensional as heck. I suppose the brass believes that the young guys will be entering the top 6, because Ryder better not.
Ryder was also the 4th best scorer on a Stanley Cup winning team for damn good reason. And as much of a one dimensional player as you say he is, you can't say Cole's defensive play has been very good so far this season. We might miss him on the forecheck and we might miss his checking, but then again, with guys like Pacioretty, Gallagher, Prust, Bourque and, when he's on, Moen, who bring a good sustained forecheck and who have a physical element in their game, it's not as crucial as it looked like it was back when we signed him, when we had Kostitsyn, Cammalleri, Gionta as wingers. Gallagher might not be the biggest guy out there, but he sure is provoking a lot of turnovers and can hit quite a bit.

In the end, Bourque's performance this season has made Cole expendable.

As for the trade itself, I like it on the longterm. It brings a lot of versatility to this team going forward, and we couldn't take the risk of being stuck with a declining Cole's expensive contract. We add a 3rd round draft pick in what is said to be a very deep draft.

On the short-term, I know Ryder is, and will always be Ryder, that he is inconsistent and that he's not known for having a regular work ethic. That being said, he matured quite a bit under Julien. We also get a sniper, which we could have used a couple of times so far this season. We immediately get a guy who's 1st in our team for points.

In the end, we made a safe pick, the downside is low, and it gives Bergevin, Dudley and co. a good opportunity this summer to put a real stamp on this team.

We'll see what happens, but here's my prediction;

Ryder gives us a very interesting option on the PP, as the book looked more and more like it was out on the fact that most of our offense on those opportunities is on the backend/blueline. He's also capable of getting those trash goals. He should have an ok 2nd half with us. Let's just not forget he's Michael Ryder, and that, you know, he's not known for his consistency, even if it improved big time.

As for Erik Cole, he's going to have a good second half. I trust him on that. But the fans have to look over that and not forget that this move was a move that had to happen at some point.

In the immediate future, I'd like to see Ryder with Galchenyuk. Ryder likes to float around the high-slot and watch the play evolve, and he's actually pretty good at pinching in the backdoor and waiting for the pass from the other wing. Galchenyuk is actually very, very efficient in seeing those opening and in making those perfect crisp, lethal passes in the O zone. That, coupled with the fact that Eller is doing very, very good in puck possession and can keep the puck behind the other team's defense for extended periods of time... I just see it being too logic of a combo for it to not work out.

So my lines would go as follow, whenever we get healthy;

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Ryder
Moen - White - Prust
Armstrong