View Single Post
Old
02-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Skating Tripods

vCash: 500
Terrific game from Pickard tonight, but I'll mention that after the Sgarbossa incident.

So, early in the game Gabriel Beaupre laid out some guy for Milwaukee. He left, presumably with at least a mild concussion. Guy was admiring a pass and Beaupre came from the blind side. Looked like shoulder to head, though my buddy who I get the tickets from thought it looked like an elbow. In any event, the first period was pretty chippy from that point on, with several guys trying to get after Beaupre.

Liambas, who, if you'll recall, delivered this hit in a junior game a few years ago, went headhunting for Sgarbossa at the blue line. It was a glancing blow that knocked Sgarbossa's helmet off. Another Monster confronted Liambas and that's when Sgarbossa came flying in. Not sure if he got a punch in or not, as players and the linesman were in the way, but he was tossed immediately.

At least, that's what I saw from my vantage point, which wasn't good for this incident. Not to mention, I just saw Sgarbossa's helmet fly into the zone and then Sgarbossa come after Liambas. Not sure where the slashing minor came from, as there was no initial call on Liambas, I don't think, until the scrum. I didn't see the replay on the Jumbotron and they only showed it once.

Sgarbossa was lucky to avoid a concussion from the hit. I don't think he'll be so lucky to avoid a suspension. I don't know if you're going to get video or not.

Milwaukee's a pretty dirty team. They took several incredibly stupid penalties. A lot of slashing and head contact in the corners. I honestly thought the refs were going to let the game get out of hand in the first period, as they were letting a lot go. But, the two coaches must have made themselves very clear at intermission. Neither team was playing the game the right way. A lot of offsides whistles, no flow, a lot of chippy play. It settled down for the most part after that.

Anyway, to my first point, Pickard was outstanding tonight. Phenomenal rebound control, especially on the Milwaukee powerplays. Saw a lot of shots through traffic. He was excellent. Really impressed with his development this season.

Stollery has a bomb of a shot. I've noticed it before, but especially tonight. He got a shot through on VDG's first goal and was pretty good in his own zone. Like I've said before, since Barrie went up and Elliott was injured and then called up, Stollery has really elevated his game. I'm not sure he's a strong enough skater to be an every night contributor in the NHL, but he's got a lot of skills.

Better game from Gaunce tonight. Thought he scored VDG's second goal, but I guess it was tipped. He played a big role on the PK as well.

Good jump from both Walkers, though Geoff took a stupid penalty when the Monsters were precariously clinging to their one goal lead.

Agozzino was a non-factor. I think the grind of the season is starting to catch up with him. Very little jump. No second gear.

Another solid game from Lauridsen. He had a couple of key blocked shots and stick checks late in the game that prevented quality scoring chances.

Carey and Thomas have been terrific with all the call-ups. Carey had an excellent backcheck in the second period that saved a goal. Thomas buried the insurance tally and plays the calming influence role on the team.

Brad Malone was brutal in the faceoff dot. He's definitely more of a LW than a C.

Curious to see what happens to Sgarbossa. I'd think a minimum of two games.