View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Dekar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
We ought to have something in the neighbourhood of $10M to spend, assuming the UFAs are let go and Kaberle bought out or traded. I'm not sure if it will be all that easy to lure Getzlaf/Perry away from Anaheim if their team succeeds there like they seem to be poised to. At any rate, any offer to either of them probably swallows a good deal of the available space. I'd chase them. But not expect much. You can offer $8M+, if they go to market. And cross your fingers. But better have some Plan Bs and Cs ready.

Our default lineup is actually pretty decent-looking. Bring Dumont up to replace Armstrong, and we've got a starting 13 up front. Tokarski or Budaj as backup. Kaberle gone and Weber at least a known commodity we have control over for extra depth. Bouillon looks like he is capable of being back too, if the price is right, for veteran depth. Could add 1 tougher/bigger guy, to me all depending on just what the pro evaluation is on Tinordi's chances.

I wouldn't go too hard after bigger names, older players, typical UFA-overpayments, etc, aside from the upper-end hail mary on Perry or Getzlaf.

Clowe and Clarkson could be considered... but all such guys are going to be such premium payouts, it'd be somewhat risky. They probably find takers at $25M/5yrs +.
Perry's pretty much the prize here. Why is Clowe so undervalued for a top-6 winger? Clarkson would be amazing to score too, but like you said, he's due for a big raise and that worries me, given that Bergevin paid $10m for Prust (not that he's not earning it, but he was originally signed to be a 4th liner and you couldn't predict that he'd step up and be more), though I'd be inclined to give Bergy the benefit of the doubt once more if he believes a guy's worth being slightly overpaid to play for us.