View Single Post
02-27-2013, 03:16 AM
I voted for Kodos
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I think this method is probably the fairest way to deal with 1992... but god, it's a hell of a lot of work.
Well...we'll see. I will do the work, because I think it is ultimately valuable to get everybody speaking the same language.

I don't believe there are actually that many seasons where an average will be necessary. I'll set the over/under at 12 seasons post-consolidation. The greatest virtue of the 10% rule (and the reason I chose it) is that it is easy to eyeball the numbers and know if you need to switch from #2 to #3 as the benchmark. It's other great virtue is that it is fairly stringent, and isn't necessary most of the time.

I'll tell you what, seventies. I will do the hard work of going through NHL scoring results season-by-season using the Vs2 standard with my preferred caveats (Vs3 with greater than 10% gap between #2 and #3, averaged VsX when the gap appears later in the top-5) and publish the results of the study. I've done a lot of work with Vs2 numbers and I believe the integrity of the 10% standard is sufficient to stay with it, but setting a few artificial, averaged benchmarks for years in which there is a whole tier of outliers looks like maybe the last necessary step towards a truly consolidated system.

My apologies, dreak. Some good may yet come of this little tempest. We shall see.