View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
The scuttlebutt was that they were less than enthused by Couturier's playoff performance and that was the main reason they were turned off from picking him. (They even ended up picking the center that went up head-to-head with him and shut him down in Pageau)

Now assuming that's true, I can certainly see why they would still fly him in for the interviews/workouts just to make sure that Couturier wasn't hampered by an injury or a re-occurrence of the mono he had earlier in the year. It's not hard to imagine that if the guy was playing with a broken foot (random example) that he didn't disclose during the playoffs, that the Senators' scouting staff would have a different opinion of the guy. But because there was nothing wrong with him, they didn't want to pick him.
Interesting perspective. I was at those games at the Bob and Couturier actually looked quite good to me. And Pageau was certainly not tasked with shutting down Couturier (that was a poor match-up physically), although Pageau did look good offensively. Gatineau were all over Couturier and he stood up to the physical play rather well. But Drummondville couldn't get the puck out of their own zone at times, which certainly had little to do with Couturuer. I saw Dorion and Murray there too, and I highly doubt they ignored their Quebec scout and went purely off those two games when trying to evaluate how to use a lottery pick. At least I sure as hell hope they based their decision on a larger sample size. Sometimes more info comes out further out, so maybe we'll know more in 5+ years.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote