Thread: Salary Cap: Habs to reach Cap Heaven?
View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Landing a big star UFA may not be MB's big plan, but he isw defenately making it possible to make any move he wants to basically.

I can also see a summer deal send Gionta out to NJ. I am not sure I would want to, but it seems to me that Bergevin is making space for the young talent we have.

Add in 6 picks in the top 90 now and his devellopment plan seems to be paying off.
That's the big question: What's Bergevin's Master Plan? Safe to say he's looking to add that 'missing piece', which in our case is a big, high-scoring power forward. We already have some potentially great D in the pipeline with Beaulieu and Tinordi, but no stars in the cupboard up front.

It would be great if we could get this star forward through the draft, but despite our nice position in the 2nd round, we'll probably have no picks in the top-20 this year or next, and teams aren't trading their #1 picks anymore. This year's draft will be about getting 2nd and 3rd-line forwards, or a 2nd pairing defenseman for the Habs - if we're lucky.

Which leaves the UFA market as the only avenue where we can secure a star forward, in a year where there are a lot of them on the market. Everything MB has been doing suggests he's clearing room on the books and the on the bench to make a real pitch for a star UFA.

But maybe not an actual 'superstar'. The more I think of it, the more I believe MB may NOT chase a premium UFA like Perry or Getzlaf. I can see him pursuing two less-expensive stars instead of one hugely expensive superstar. Might be easier to add two guys in the $4.5M range of Clarkson, MacArthur or Fillpula, than one guy in the $8M range. Plus it adds more depth in the forward lines.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote