View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I think last season needs to be looked at in proper context. There were tons of problems with this team even going into the playoffs.

The Rangers had a bunch of 4 and 5 game win streaks early in the year. The last one ended on February 14. At that point, they were 37-13-5. In the remaining 27 games, one third of the season, the team basically played .500 hockey. 14-11-2. In the playoffs, they played .500 hockey. 10-10. This season, they've played .500 hockey. 8-8-2.

As far as I can tell, they've been on a 65 game slump after being on a 46 game hot streak last season. At some point, you definitely start wondering if the coach is even capable of getting the ship even close to where it was when they were hot. There are all sorts of factors going on this year. I'm not going to deny that the group has had challenges with injuries and with turnover. The difference is that I feel like last year's team, at least early on, would have responded positively to the adversity. That Tortorella would've been able to use the challenges to help the team gel. I don't get that feeling with this group.
Now this is the million dollar question. How do we allocate responsibility (blame is really the wrong word), and how do the Rangers fix it?

Seems to me, there should be a lot of finger pointing going around.
-certain vets (ahem, Richards, and probably a few others) obviously didn't do the offseason training they were supposed to and are still out of shape
-some guys took the positive press clippings to heart and forgot the amount of hard work it took to get those accolades
-the team personnel and identity changed but the system didn't bend to accommodate it
-a certain 'gotta win now' GM decided to go though his roster with a sandblaster instead of a scalpel irregardless of any chemistry or identity changes and the after effects
-certain young guys who played well under no expectations (Krieder) are suddenly caught like a deer in the headlights when there are real expectations

Looks like there's enough blame to go around to nearly everyone in the organization.

Now, how do the Rangers fix it? With no real coaching candidates out there, can we honestly expect a coaching change to fix this room?