View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
You are totally missing the point of reference though. That comment about playing a shutdown role was made in connection with Pitkanen, a minute-eating, puck-possession D. He does not consistently play against top lines despite his high ESTOI. He often is mixed-and-matched in latter stages of games with other D's and hence his high numbers.

In my view, a D doesn't have to be a purely defensive-D (e.g. Bryan Allen last year) to play a shutdown role. To me you play a shutdown role by consistently being sent out there against top lines. That is true of Karlsson though, as I wrote, he gets dinged in my book by not playing a key role on the PK. He actually embodies your point about puck moving and puck possession being part of effective D.
Ok, I took your "shutdown capacity" comment too literally then which is why I took exception to it. Going out against the other teams top lines and being used in a shutdown capacity are two different things to me.

Shutdown capacity to me means you are a defensive minded player who is used to stop the other teams top line. How Boston uses Chara for instance and how Sutter is used from a forward standpoint. Anyhow, no big deal.

Boom Boom Aho is offline   Reply With Quote