View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 11:44 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
Because there is a big difference between players who as you put it "use their frame to their advantage and play a softer style of game" and players who will let the physicality of a game affect their willingness to engage in certain areas and playing his style. As I mentioned earlier it's not just about whether he'll hit or won't hit. There are plenty of players as you mentioned who are big but don't play a physical game, but after watching Lodge play the last 3 years it's too much of an issue to overlook.

If he becomes a player who just simply doesn't play a physical game but doesn't let it affect him he'll be fine, but it's beyond just not playing physical. I don't ever expect him to become physical. But he's doing the same stuff 3 years ago that prevented him from going higher in the OHL Draft and might prevent him from going as high as he could in the NHL Draft. No one will argue his speed, skill and hands, but obviously there's differing opinions about how he handles physical play.

But at the end of the day all it takes is one team. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the top 60, but at this point I personally wouldn't place in himside the top 60 as of right now becasue there's other talented players who offer more in those picks.

I don't wanna knock the kid cause he's talented but the discussion seems to have stemmed into his physical play, and this is just the truth about how he is around the physical game.

If we talk speed, hands and what he's doing with his offensive opportunities right now, I would agree with you in those areas and I think it's great what he's doing, and I look forward to seeing him play in the playoffs as he'll be playing a much bigger role and I hope it will do well.
I havent seen Jimmy Lodge get pushed around there much at all... I again think this is much to do about nothing kind of talk..silly if you ask me. he isnt going to be a Ryan Callahan or Dustin Brown physical player, he is a skilled bigger forward in the Blake Wheeler mold. Same things could have been said about Wheeler in his draft that he shied away from physical play and infront of the crease, yet Gretzky and the Yotes had the common sense to take the kid as high as they did based off of their view of him and his potential. I think Lodge is that type of player..your not drafting him in hopes he turns into a power winger, you draft this kid on his wheels and skillset which is far above many of the people being ranked ahead of him.

if there are 59 better prospects than Jimmy for this draft, this will be one of the best drafts ever..

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote