View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Matheltic if you base your draft on stats then how come Bukarts is lower than Arkhip Nekolenko?
Bukarts is a late-95 whereas Nekolenko is a 96. This would be the maine reason why. Bukarts is also in his 2nd MHL season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I don't know how you couldn't have Ekblad number one at this point, no offense to Nylander and Reinhart who are shaping up to be first overall talents in their own right. We're getting blessed by having two defensemen with generational talent potential two drafts in a row.
Nylander is looking like a special talent and has a better shot at n'1 on my list than Ekblad does at this point. Nylander has been great in every league he's been from the U18, U20 and already off to a great start in the Allsvenskan as a 16 year old. Sam Reinhart, after a slow start, has picked up the pace greatly this year and is showing very good potential as well. The same goes for Dal Colle.

This is nothing against Ekblad who I think is a very good player. That said, from all the research I can make, forwards will hold more value at the draft than d-men. I made the same case for Jones at n'4 this year. This is not to say that Jones isn't a good player, it's just that forwards with high-end potential are more valuable. They're harder to get on the open market in the NHL, and they're for the most part selected very high in the draft.

I'll re-post what I wrote in the other thread about the 2013 draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
My main arguments for having MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkov ahead of Jones would be the following. The top forwards in the game tend to impact the game more so than top d-men and top goalies.

Simplifying things down to a minimum, I would not trade Alex Pietrangelo for Carey Price nor would I trade Steven Stamkos for Alex Pietrangelo.

I think high end forwards are more rare than high end d-men. If we take a look at some of the high end forwards in the league we'd find that most of them would have been selected very high in the draft. For example, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Tavares, Spezza, Kovalchuk, Seguin, etc. There would some lower picks like Giroux, Neal, Eberle and so on, there are some but there are fewer than there would be for D's and goalies.

For instance, on defense guys like Weber, Chara, Lidstrom, Boyle, Yandle, Burns, Visnovski, Byfuglien, Keith, Subban, etc. were available later in their draft years.

Also, d-men tend to be more sensitive to the team they are one. A good d-man put on a weaker team won't shine as much as he'd be on a good team, whereas forwards tend to be more consistent.

I give MackInnon, Drouin and Barkov the same grades I'd give to players like Stamkos, Tavares, Kane and so on, so it's almost by default they end up high on the list. That said, it's not like Jones isn't a premium prospect.

So, with that said, nothing against Brodin nor Hamilton, they're both great prospects but I'd still take the RNHs, Landeskogs, Huberdeaus of this world ahead of them.

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote