Thread: Salary Cap: Habs to reach Cap Heaven?
View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 12:28 PM
LePoche69

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't see how it's all that risky. Because what we have in hand right now, by default, is already ok. The whole Getzlaf/Perry dream duo is probably going to get sorted out before July 1st anyway. Just if it doesn't, if they do go to market, we can bid. Desharnais is RFA and we can hold his rights until the Getlzaf option evapourates. We ought to know from the opening bid whether we're really in the running for Perry or not.

I don't think the Habs should go off on some drawn out courting process on those guys, though. Make your best offers up front. There are 7-year limits and we can shoe-horn in $7.5M ea. So that's it right there, there isn't any negotiating. You offer them $52.5M/7yrs right when the market opens. If they don't take it, you move on and get a winger signed (maybe Ryder, maybe Clowe, whoever - we can essentially afford anybody), and plan to re-sign Desharnais when time allows. It shouldn't be all that risky. We're either going to end up with the same lineup as today, with Desharnais and Ryder/Clowe/some decent 20-goal candidate signed on wing, or we win the jackpot - highly unlikely, but also not really risking anything by putting our offer out there.
Fair enough. My thought is based on the thinking that Cole is a better player than Ryder. So if I extrapolate, it would mean that the Plan B of resinging Ryder + Desharnais leave the Habs without any upgrade over the year before (this year), so the trade becomes a poker move that turned bad.

That said, I agree with you: not singing any big name doesn't mean Habs lose all their cap space, so the singing of other significant players are not out of question. For example, as a Plan B move, I would be ok with singing an aged Elias for 2 years. Great team player and fits Therrien's system pretty well.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote