Thread: Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College
View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Going back to the Hickey pick, what really ticked me off then (and still kind of gets me upset now) is that Voracek is the player that was slotted to go at #4. Not sure if he was considered a safe pick, but at the time he was considered a high end prospect who is highly skilled.

I understand that the Kings at that time were in need of shoring up their blueline within the pipeline, but to reach that far at #4 to bypass the best player available really stung the team. Alzner was projected as the best defenseman in that first round, and I know why they passed on him as Alzner was viewed as a finished product back then, there wasn't much room for growth for him any more at that point, and he's proven to be a steady and reliable mid-pairing defenseman for the Caps.

Either way, things worked out for the Kings. Who knows what would have happened with Voracek on this roster. We may not have Carter as a result of the way things played out (since Voracek was the center piece in the trade between Columbus and Philly).