View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 12:29 PM
OpAck

vCash: 500
It is a tough situation for an Isles fan.

On one hand, Charles Wang has been a very involved owner who has been too involved in the day to day operations. He has also tried to do things a bit unconventional (committee-run ownership, career long player contracts, giving the GM job to the backup goalie, etc). For the most part, his unconventional approach has not been smart sports management decisions and the organization has only come off as a bit of a circus atmosphere.

On the other hand, without Charles Wang stepping in and wasting a few hundred million dollars over the 13 years he's owned the team...the franchise would have probably relocated to Kansas City or Portland or Seattle or Las Vegas 8-12 years ago.

Clearly, it's a tough spot for Isles fans.

I'll look at the positives though...had Wang not agreed to have the team undergo a lengthy rebuild process and instead continue to order Garth Snow to pluck the UFA leftovers like Mike Comrie, Mariusz Czerkawski, and Bryan Berard and watch us continue being an 8-12 in the East team...we'd today be hearing about Tampa Bay Lightning star center John Tavares. All the while, we'd be whining right now about how it appears our 1st line center, Jason Arnott, doesn't have anything left in the tank and why we would ever consider bringing the near 40-year old Jason Blake back.

Another positive...I think Wang has learned his lesson with regards to the career contracts. And I was a fan of the Yashin contract originally. 10 year deal for a 27-year old, former Hart Trophy nominee...long, but not terrible (until of course Yashin's play declined significantly). DiPietro's was a huge risk and hasn't worked out at all. But notice as these young guys like Tavares have expiring ELCs...there was no longer any talk about dishing 10+ year deals with massive amounts of money being tossed around. In fact, the contracts that they've given to alot of these young guys...are actually pretty fair and under good terms and length. This includes Tavares, Nielsen, MacDonald, Grabner, Moulson, etc. It's proof that these guys like the culture in the locker room and they know they're close to becoming a very competitive team.

It's just that...it's becoming more of a time-consuming process than we ever imagined. And the organization is not doing anything to speed the process along. But yes, contrary to what some in the organization claim to say, I do believe Wang is looking to sell a majority stake in the team...and with this new ownership in Brooklyn...with Tavares as THE key piece to build around...I think there's still a light at the end of the loooooooooooong tunnel, and we're almost there.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote