Old
02-27-2013, 01:10 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
It was a joke

But it is partly true, we are a fat country. I don't know where he got his stats from but in almost every obesity ranking I've ever seen the UK is in the top 5 and Slovenia is nowhere to be seen. My knowledge of Slovenia comes from my friend in university who is from there, she tells me they are all mad about sport from football to the niche winter sports like ski jumping, and participation is high. She doesn't like hockey but knows a lot about Kopitar and Mursak, she says Kopitar is their national hero and that everyone knows who the top ski jumpers are. A majority of the UK population have no interest in sport outside of football, let alone participate. We are lucky to have a large population which keeps us good at sport at the pro level. Hopefully now after the Olympics things will continue to improve.
Sure we're a relatively fat nation. The weight of your average citizen isn't really that important in a climate of elite development.

The majority of the population isn't required for elite sports development. Of course, without statistics, your argument really doesn't mean anything, and just seems to follow the sentiment of thoughts on society.

The UK does very well in sports. Improvements can be made in many areas, but what do you expect? Don't expect many better olympics than the one we just had, you'll be waiting a long time. Statistics/variance suggest other nations with similar wealth/population will beat us at some point, and beating China/US is entirely unattainable. But then who really cares, most of the olympic sports aren't popular. Does anyone really care if we develop medals at Archery, Judo or events such as Pole vault? You might care for 2 weeks, but you aren't following those sports elsewhere so who cares? Team sports are infinitely more popular in consumption than individual sports.

The main problem is youth development in Football. England underachieves substantially in football player production quality relative to other nations.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote