View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
What worries me is that Holmgren is apparently on a shopping spree and that a deal involving the Flyers first is in talks. I've heard the obvious (Winnipeg), but I've also heard that he's talking with Phoenix, Buffalo and Washington as well. From what I've heard (and once again, all hearsay from a couple of scout friends), Phoenix is about Rundblad AND Gormley, Buffalo is Meyers and Washington is Carlson.
I would be down for any of those trade situations for a 1st as long as the plus in not one of the core (Simmonds, Voracek, Giroux, Hartnell, Couturier, Schenns) and the 1st wasn't a top 5 pick. Any defensemen the Flyers would draft would take years to make a huge impact. The fastest guys I have seen have been Karlson and Doughty and they each took 4 years. Carlson and Meyers already have had success and have had some growing pains. I think they are both on the back end of their learning curves and will only go up, especially if paired with a good defensive partner. Having Luke Schenn and Carlson or Meyers would fill the Flyers need for top 4 right handed defensemen, which are harder to come by, for a decade. As far as the Phoenix situation, there is a little more risk their as both have not reached the NHL level yet, but getting two talented defensemen close to making the league is better than drafting one that is years away. IMO the Flyers forward group will be cup ready in two years if B.Schenn and Couturier follow a normal development curve. Getting experience defensemen for than wouldn't be a waste of 1st.