View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
It's a lineman's draft. They'd get a far better lineman at number 1 that they can build the line around and give Smith protection. Geno is not a number 1 draft choice.
Honestly, the last time I heard that was 2008, and look what happened to the team with the #1 (Dolphins). Sure they got one of the best tackles in the game in Jake Long, but in hindsight, wouldn't they have rather taken Matt Ryan? They've had poor QB play since that one solid year from Pennington, and I honestly don't believe Tannehill is the answer there. It's a QBs league, and the shortage of good QBs is becoming more noticeable. Having a stud lineman like Joeckel won't matter if you don't have anyone competent behind center.

I disagree about Geno Smith not being #1 overall material. He's not in that elite stratosphere that Luck and RGIII occupied last year, but IMO he's equally as gifted as Newton, Stafford and Bradford were coming out of college. The concern about WVU's system is overblown, none of those aforementioned QBs save for Luck played in pro-friendly college systems.