View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I don't call 10:22 ATOI mostly with bottom six players a real chance.

Miller and Kreider are two different kinds of players. I talked at length about what each bring since BEFORE they were drafted.

I knew Miller would be fine because of his physical and polished game.

While Kreider certainly isn't afraid to use his body, and while he certainly isn't an unintelligent player, he is NOT a "heady" player. He is the kind of player that plays on his instincts. He is an offensive player. He can not possibly be expected to play a style of game that he never played before in his life, 100% to perfection, 11 regular season games into his NHL career.

Here's a fact. Kreider is being over coached. He is not getting time in an offensive role, with the team's better offensive players, aside from ONE game with Richards. It wasn't a full game, either. Not one shift with Nash. Not with Stepan. Not with Hagelin.

Brian Boyle, Taylor Pyatt, Jeff Halpern, Brandon Mashinter, Aaron Asham, J.T. Miller, Darroll Powe. These have been his linemates.

Total time on the power play?

You expect to see an offensive player develop in a role unsuited for his style of play.

Again, coach's job is to maximize everyone's ability.

You don't take a java script engineer and ask him to be a graphic designer with zero design experience.

If he were given a shot with Nash, who would open up a TON of space for Kreider, and get him the puck around the net, and Kreider still didn't play well at all. Then we could be having this discussion.

The veteran leadership should ALWAYS be more accountable. More expectation = less accountability? Less expectation = more accountability?

What's backwards thinking now?

If Richards and Gaborik were doing their job, this wouldn't be such an issue. Kreider could ride shot gun with one of the big three and his mistakes wouldn't be under such a microscope.

Two guys earning 14 million on the cap have done nothing and suddenly your support cast is exposed.
What exactly is Kreider being asked to do that he hasn't been asked to do before? BC played about as close to a Tortorella-esque system as you'll find in the NCAA. Hard on the forecheck, responsible in your own end. He hasn't managed to do either of those things at this level this season, and you expect the coach to stick him on a line with Nash so he can find open ice? That's entirely unreasonable. We're not asking the kid to kill penalties, or shutdown scoring lines, or even QB the PP.

I find it ironic that you give Kreider a pass for doing the exact same things you crucify Gaborik for. I.e., inconsistent effort on a shift-to-shift basis, being invisible on the ice, not engaging physically, etc. Kreider is of no use to us if he can't play a regular shift without being a liability.

Just because Kreider has great physical and offensive tools, it doesn't mean he gets a pass to a scoring line role. He needs to earn it. Just like everyone else.