View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 02:40 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I think as a fan, you can become indifferent to wins/losses.

However, if you want to root to lose, Columbus isn't too far. You can build a championship team without bottoming out. You really can. Look at Detroit, look at Anaheim in 07. Top picks don't guarantee success either.

Look at Edmonton, Columbus, Washington. All teams loaded with top 5 picks. Look at the Philadelphia Flyers, a team whose situation in 2006-07 mirrors ours. Good coach losses the team, gets canned, team goes into tailspin. Gets 2nd overall pick....gets a good player in JVR, but hardly a franchise guy.

Cups aren't won by hording top 5 picks. Cups are won by careful planning, finding someone who can build a team that will succeed in playoffs, and a bit of luck.

I'm very comfortable with our prospect pool at this point. Yes, I want more good players in there. We've got a good group of young players who are learning still. Hodgson, Ennis, Foligno, Myers. We've got a good stable of prospects who are coming in Grigerenko, Armia, Pysyk, Girgensons, Marakov.

You know what doesn't help players develop, though? Losing. Losing erodes confidence, is demoralizing, and creates a bad environment. It doesn't help anything or anyone.

We aren't a very good team currently. Our veteran group isn't good enough to carry the younger guys right now. We are going to lose our fair share of games. And maybe it is time to sell off some veteran guys, especially if they don't want to suffer through the rebuild. And that's fine. But you know what I'll never do? Root for the team to lose a game. It's stupid. Picking a few picks higher isn't a guarantee of anything. If you want to see a team lose, Columbus is only a few hours away. The seats are cheaper and the fans are used to it.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote