Thread: Salary Cap: Habs to reach Cap Heaven?
View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 02:26 PM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Letting DD walk would be poor asset management and I don't see Bergevin letting that happen. We already have Moen and Prust who are best suited to the LW on the fourth line and who are under contract... we don't need another there. White fits our needs better than Lapierre and comes at a lower cost.

The OP had a long list of players but many of them had small contracts and even if they walk, someone will have to take their roster spot, probably at equivalent pay. If Ryder isn't re-signed someone will have to take his spot and that someone would probably command an equivalent salary... so the illusion is that the cap space is much larger than it really is.

If the team really wanted to create cap space they would buy out Kaberle at year end and see if Gionta could be moved. At the same time, I could see a 3 year contract for Desharnais at about $8 million and two years for Ryder at about $5.5 million.

You could probably replace Armstrong with Dumont or Blunden, keep Bouillon as a #6 or #7 defenseman and replace Weber with Tinordi as your other #6 or #7 defenseman. All of that would be a wash as far as salary goes.

When you plug those numbers into the cap space, it still looks pretty good while allowing some of our younger players to develop as they should.

We would end up with a significant amount of cap space to sign a right winger who could play on the top two lines while keeping Ryder and Gallagher as our other scoring right wingers.

I definitely agree that if we fail to sign a top talent that we keep the cap space and try later to sign a free agent or trade for a top talent.
To be fair, I did set aside 5M$ for these support personnel.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote