View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 02:47 PM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
So people are pissed at the guy for getting a hatty or better? Yeah, he scored 3 goals against the Islanders. We won that game 6-5. Really wish he had spread those goals out over the next few games instead of, you know, helping us win.

That year is also an anomaly for the guy. His worst season post-lockout in terms of points per game.
Well, so far, this season has been as bad or worse. He leads the team with 7 goals in 18 games, but scored those goals in only 4 games. He only has points in 7 of 18 games. He has 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 13 games.

Sure, if you prorate his numbers over an 82 game season, he'll have 31-32 goals, but is that worth 7.5 mil a year? If he isn't scoring, he's not really helping the team. He's not great along the boards, not great at carrying the puck. He won't kill us defensively, but he's hardly a standout in that area. He's not going to kill penalties.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gabby and I'm not in a rush to ship him out. But neither would I be sad to see him go in the right deal. He's got 1 year left on his contract. It might be a tight squeeze to fit everyone in next year. Who knows if he'll re-sign after that, or if Slats will want to re-sign him. Gabby and Torts have butted heads more than once. At the very least, we should explore the trade market to see what we could get for him.