View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
I wonder if there is more to this than just a guess because he played here?
This is all Housley had to say on it last week:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I've seen Housley's name thrown around in here so .. Phil Housley on Lindy Ruff being fired as Sabres coach, his future:
Quote:
Phil Housley wasn’t contacted by the Buffalo Sabres after Lindy Ruff was fired after 16 years as coach, but the ex-NHL defenseman could emerge as a candidate somewhere this summer, if not sooner.

Housley, who coached the United States to the gold medal at the world junior championships, said being behind the bench in the NHL is his goal.

“I haven’t really pursued anything at this point,” Housley said in a phone interview Wednesday. “Sometimes you can’t just pick where you want to go. It’s the opportunity.”
Quote:
Housley is the head coach at Stillwater Area High School in Minnesota, and the world junior tournament is his most significant experience.

“I really enjoyed it,” Housley said, pointing to everything from camp to the tournament itself. “Once you have a chance to reflect, you realize what a great accomplishment that was.”

Housley hasn’t had any contact with Buffalo, the team for which he played his first eight NHL seasons. But that’s not all that surprising, he said, given that during a season most teams are enthralled with their own organizations.
Quote:
It’s possible Rolston has the same kind of success as Bylsma or Boudreau and becomes Buffalo’s coach for the long term. But it’s also possible Regier or a new general manager will be undertaking a coaching search this summer.

Undoubtedly other teams will too, and at that point Housley could become an attractive candidate for teams looking for a fresh approach.

“I wouldn’t say if an opportunity came, one way or another, what I would do,” Housley said.