Thread: Salary Cap: Habs to reach Cap Heaven?
View Single Post
Old
02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I doubt it... the cap is guaranteed to go up, and there are expiring contracts coming up. I don't think it would affect guys like Gallys or Subban. (Or shouldn't, at any rate). But it could affect retaining Markov, say, or the kinds of raises that Eller or Diaz might get if they play well, but still aren't perceived as absolute core players at the end of next season. Etc. Obviously big free agency contracts have those kinds of impacts. But to me that's just part of what you trade off in getting elite players onto the team.

Diaz is actually going to be a relatively tricky case. The way he's playing this year, and his age, he'd be scheduled to be UFA after next season, and he could draw a relatively uncomfortable raise. It would be worth looking into extending him this summer at any value we might find that seems to offer some potential savings, perhaps. $3Mish?
Excellent point about Diaz. The more I see, the more I like. He has the best hockey IQ on D next to Markov. I hope he's paying attention, because in about 15 months when Markov possibly leaves, Diaz's role may increase.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote